الأربعاء، 9 مايو 2012

Why I chose to be an activist rather than a pharmacist?

Sometimes I hear that a person (possibly me) chose to defend human rights because he or she is running for publicity, opposing Islam and Shariaa or willing to be rich as the west is donating huge money for opposing Islam.


Personally I've always believed in human rights and realized how Islam is a religion of justice and equality, despite all the nonsense interpretations which mainly arise with the issues of dealing with women, sexual identities and religious minorities.

I was young employed woman in a patriarchal society. I decided to have two jobs; an officer in a governmental institution during the day time and a community pharmacist in evening shifts. This was the start of a long journey of sexual harassment, assaults, stress and depression in Shariaa oriented society, and I'm sure that I'm not the only woman who gone through this, but it is the general condition for working women.

I was recruited in office with more than 20 employees, only 4 of them were females (two with permanent jobs, a part timer and I have to do the civil service there)

I was challenged by the new situation as I used to put makeup daily, my colleagues were staring on me and checking me like an alien.This was not the college any more!!! nail polish and lipstick were used only for seduction, If you used them then you are looking for a man.Someday an older female employee advised me not to put makeup and wear Hijab or I would never get promoted. Another female employee used to tell me that (X and Y) our colleagues are asking you not to show them your hair and I was completely surprised by this interventions and how those people could dare to think that I'm targeting them by unveiled hair.


Whenever I attend a meeting, or talk to a male colleague the issue of marriage is a major part of any conversation, why a young educated lady working in a place full of men is still single? this question was usually asked for curiosity, or a silly introduction of proposing to me. I've never felt much humiliated as a male colleague who is taking the task of finding me a spouse.


These stories were happening during the day time, you will feel more surprised by the evening tales ranging from harassment to police cases and death threats.Those stories need ages to be told.

How can I take care of a patient when I feel disrespect; although I have to do so? when he can't see that I'm a professional pharmacist rather than a girl working alone in a night shift. When the situation is turning from giving advice to being insulted and harassed.


To be honest not being a pharmacist is not just related to experiencing violence, but also has a relation with the power relations between the pharmacist, the physicians and the patients. Those relations are governed by the customs and traditions rather than policies and regulations (apparently they do not exist). You find your self after years of studying pharmaceutics and pharmacology, do experiments for long hours, sometimes for many days; have to forget about everything and just trying to read damn prescription which is full of awful mistakes and handle the medicines to the annoying patient.

Tea ladies, doctors, activists all of them are experiencing harassment and violence in other forms but also at different levels, when you are poor the discrimination is doubled.

Women need protection from systematic violence not medicines. 

I realized that while serving rural communities in Gazira and Kassala states as a part of medical students health convoys. I met married young girls, circumcised girls, and women who never talked about their health problems. I saw the sadness, hopelessness in their eyes and was not able to help them. Those women were very poor and have no other options than marriage and mostly living with violence.

Briefly this is my story. If I tried to add more details I think I will write a memoir of 26 years.

هناك تعليق واحد:

  1. اكتبي عزيزتي عبري اطلقي العنان عل الحروف تشفي الجروح

    ردحذف